Monday, July 25, 2016

Soccer, Pioneer Day Concert at the conference center


Yesterday Landon Hannamann reported on his mission, He did a really good job he loved his mission and the opportunities he had in Spain. He looks great, we also got to see Jason Burningham. He has been home for a while now, his family moved to Eagle Mountain and he does not like it out there, but is working and getting ready to go to school. My primary lesson was on Choosing the Right gives me a Happy Feeling. It was a good reminder lesson for my class, they are all pretty happy and are young enough that they are not making a lot of wrong choice right now in there lives. Although one little boy said that he had done something and got a 4 hour lecture from his dad the night before. We also talked about pioneers and made butter during the class. Having the shake the little jar kept most of them quiet so they could have a turn shaking it. It was really good I should of taken the whole loaf of bread since they all wanted more of the butter.

I had to go to work after church. It was pretty slow, even for it being the 24th of July. I finished a book called Sisters Arise. I really love the book, Lynne Perry Christofferson is from Lehi and every chapter in the book describes how I feel and things I would say. In one of the later chapters she shared a story that Elder Hales shared back in 2002. It went right along with Elder Hannamann's report today also.

Generating the Light

This past winter I had the opportunity to learn more about my lungs. I became very aware that we cannot store oxygen. We cannot save the air we need to breathe, no matter how hard we try. Moment by moment, breath by breath, our lives are granted to us and are renewed. So it is with spiritual light. It must be renewed in us on a regular basis. We must generate it day by day, thought by thought, and with daily righteous action if we are to keep the darkness of the adversary away.

When I was a boy, I used to ride my bicycle home from basketball practice at night. I would connect a small pear-shaped generator to my bicycle tire. Then as I pedaled, the tire would turn a tiny rotor, which produced electricity and emitted a single, welcome beam of light. It was a simple but effective mechanism. But I had to pedal to make it work! I learned quickly that if I stopped pedaling my bicycle, the light would go out. I also learned that when I was “anxiously engaged”17 in pedaling, the light would become brighter and the darkness in front of me would be dispelled.

The generation of spiritual light comes from daily spiritual pedaling. It comes from praying, studying the scriptures, fasting, and serving—from living the gospel and obeying the commandments. “He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light,”18 said the Lord, “and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.”19 My brothers and sisters, that perfect day will be when we will stand in the presence of God the Father and Jesus Christ.

Sometimes people ask, “Why do I have to go to sacrament meeting?” or “Why do I have to live the Word of Wisdom, pay tithing? Why can’t I have one foot in Babylon?” May I tell you why? Because spiritual pedaling takes both feet! Unless you are fully engaged in living the gospel—living it with all of your “heart, might, mind and strength”20—you cannot generate enough spiritual light to push back the darkness.

And in this world, the darkness is never far away. In fact, it is always just around the corner, waiting for an opportunity to come in. “If thou doest not well,” the Lord said, “sin lieth at the door.”21

It is as predictable as any physical law: if we let the light of the Spirit flicker or fade by failing to keep the commandments or by not partaking of the sacrament or praying or studying the scriptures, the darkness of the adversary will surely come in. “That wicked one cometh and taketh away light and truth, through disobedience.”22

In the scriptures we read that some individuals “grope in the dark without light” and “stagger like a drunken man.”23 Stumbling along, we may become accustomed to the dimness of our surroundings and forget how glorious it is to walk in the light. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2002/04/out-of-darkness-into-his-marvelous-light?lang=eng&_r=1

I finally finished the quilt I started in November for Brady and Crystal. I am going to have to make another one for them, this one had so many mistakes on it, but I have learned a lot, and it still turned out really cute.

Miriah went with Kimmee, the boys and Abigail to Thanksgiving point and to trafagal.  She had a great time mostly because she got to hold Abigail.
 Helping the boys build at Thanksgiving point.




 She is so grown up and such a great helper.  Yesterday she didn't want to go with us to the homecoming, so I dropped her off at our church on the way to Landon's.  I told her she could go up and sit by dad if she wanted too, she thought that would be weird.  She is Brave!  Told her she could find one of the ladies to sit by then and I got this text last night from Sister Ockler.  "You probably already know what a sweethearat Miriah is but I need to tell you that she was so sweet to come in on the far side of the Cultural Hall and come clear over ask if she could sit by me.  What a jewel of a young girl she is."
Britton had his first soccer tournament this weekend,  It was good my made at least one goal in every  game.  He should of had several but he kept hitting the goal post.  In the last game he got hit really hard in the face with the ball and thought he had broken his jaw. but we knew it wasn't broken because he never quits talking.  He was hurting though.  He sat out for a little bit but went back in.  you can see how tall he is getting.  He is a tease and a happy boy. 
 He thinks he is being funny with his new poise.
 We took second place, played good but ran out of gas.

Friday Night we got to go to the Conference Center for the Pioneer Day Concert with the Mormon Tabernacle choir and the King Singers.  It was really good, so much talent and time of all the choir people.  The King singers sang a Primary song arrangement that was totally worth going for. 
 Our annaul picture by the pond and the temple, didn't get a good picture.


 We went for Ice Cream afterwards at Johny Rockets, it was expensive and I didn't think it was any better than JCW's, but at least we can say we have been there now.




 Abigail in her Bee dress for the24th of July, for the Bee State.
We also heard this week that Braxton will be coming home on October 4th, everyone is so excited.  Most of his best friends will all be home in the next couple of weeks.  Bronson is working hard to get his papers and in do everything he needs to get his mission papers in.  Lots of good things happening, summer is almost over and soon Miriah will get her wish because we will be back to school in no time.  Love you and hope you have a wonderful week.

No comments: