Last Monday night for Family Night Kimmee had set up a night with Tom Holman and his wife for all of us. It was amazing and we learned so much and had a great time. Behind Hollie and Miriah you can see the drawings of Tom's Roots of Knowledge project that he is doing for UVU. It was unreal!
In this picture you can see one of the 80 stain glass windows that will be at the school. This on is one of the scenes from King Solomon.
He took us into a room where they fire the paint and firer the glass. It was very fun for the kids since he let them all help put the pieces in place. he said that stain glass is like putting a puzzle together.
This is what it looked like when all the pieces where in place. Now it will move tot he next step of putting the metal between each piece of glass.
This is one of the art pieces that he had on the wall, I liked the quote that was on it. "A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts. James Allen
On Tuesday after school we got to go to the Provo City Temple Open House, It was so amazing, and so much more fun after being at Tom Holman's and hearing his stories and his experiences with the stain glass that he had restored for the temple. Even the kids enjoyed it so much more looking for things he had told us about.
Lone Peak played on Tuesday night and lost to Herriman. It was a close game put the just could not catch up. Herriman played better than us they deserved to win.
The drum line and their buckets, such a fun show.
Game over, now Bronson cleans up.
Picture in Brady and Crystal's apartment
Friday was a big day at Lone Peak for the team and Frank. Frank Jackson was named the McDonald Player of the year. It was quite a big deal.
Bronson and the rest of the team,
Bronson is looking good, in Brady's shirt.
Grandpa bought us all lunch for Collette's birthday, She had Chaz and Kassie little girls with her. Ryatt is a character. So darling, she was leading Grandpa out of the restaurant.
Later Friday night we had the BIG GAME ESPN came to put Lone Peak on TV. A team from New Jersey came out to play them. Brent and Miriah are the start of the parent line. This is at 5:30...
This is the 200 hall, The Student line up. They started lining up at 2:15 when school got out. They wanted to make sure they got the from seats to be on TV. They camped out eating pizza and playing games until 9;00 pm. It was crazy.
This was about 7:15 they were pushing to get in.
The parent line is getting longer too...
It was a packed house. They brought chairs in for people to sit on in the two door ways. It was a very fun atmosphere. The students were great and had lots of school spirit.
Yeah we won, close game.
Brody and the Team back in Hawaii, they lost the last three games in California.
Super Bowl was today! So we had soup in bread bowls. Hollie made the bread bowls while I made the soup and Miriah made the apple glaze bar. Dad wanted apple pie. Braxton you would be very happy since the Denver Bronco's won. Britton was sad he wanted the Panthers to win.
Hollie's bread bowls were very good and Miriahs apple glaze bar was so good,
She is getting very good at making crust.
Bronson and Britton did the dishes since they didn't help make anything. We also had wings, everyone's favorite for Super Bowl Sunday. We didn't make bean dip this year since we forgot to get the tomatoes.
by Art Berg, CSP
I was sitting on a plane the other day, flying back from a speaking engagement in Orlando. The passenger seated next to me was the kind you always dread as a frequent flier. They want to talk.
I had a lot of work to do-letters to write, e-mail to respond to, and correspondence to read. Despite my obvious need to get some things done while in-flight, the passenger was determined to talk to me as long as he could.
"Where are you going?" he inquired.
"Home," was my response.
"Where's home?" he continued.
His line of questioning seemed endless. "Utah," was my answer.
"What do you do for a living?" he pressed.
"I am a motivational speaker," I replied.
"You sure don't look very motivated right now," he offered.
That got me thinking. Just what does "motivated" look like? Was I supposed to be energetic, bubbly, jumping up and down with the energy of a child? What do people expect to see when they see a "motivated" person?
Motivation is much more than what we are on the outside; rather it is what is happening inside that makes the difference. Consider for a moment my "unmotivated" state on that plane. I was tired. I would rather have been sleeping or aimlessly watching the in-flight movie. I could have been playing a game on my computer. Or, I could have even used socializing as an excuse to not get my work done. Instead, I knew that the more work I get done while I am on the road, the more time I have to spend with my children at home. If I can take advantage of the hours I spend on planes, I can focus more on my wife and home when I am off the road. There were a lot of things I would rather have been doing, but I wasn't. I was working. I think that is motivation!
We're motivated when we can put off the pleasures of the moment for something more valuable. We're motivated when we do what we should be doing rather than always what we want to be doing. We're motivated when we can focus on what's important in the face of pressing distractions.
How can you tell if you're motivated? Ask yourself some of these questions:
- Can I put off pleasure when more important work needs to be done?
- Do I focus on long-term goals or just short-term pleasure?
- Am I doing what I should do, or what I just want to do?
- Do I avoid the difficult things in pursuit of the "busy" things?
What does motivation look like? It is often the individual who quietly goes about his work, doing his duty, without the need for constant reassurance or praise. It is often the woman who does what she should be doing everyday when it would be so much easier to do what she wants to do instead. It is the teenager who studies late into the night when he could have been doing something more fun. It's the politician who lobbies for causes that will have real impact and meaning as opposed to those things that are politically expedient and popular.
Motivation isn't what you look like, it's what you quietly do.
No comments:
Post a Comment